Thursday, October 6, 2011

A weekend away...

This past weekend, Kyle & I got to spend a weekend away.  Away from diapers, laundry, dishes, cooking, vacuuming, walking dogs, feeding dogs- do I really need to go on.  My mom flew in from Virginia to watch Knox and Kyle & I flew out to Chicago to enjoy a few days away. I had high expectations of what four days of sleeping in and doing nothing for anyone would be like and it did not disappoint.  I missed Knox A LOT, but I LOVED sleeping in until 9 am everyday (he is usually up by 6:30 on a late morning) and doing what I wanted to do when I wanted to do it.  Don't get me wrong, I love being a mother.  But I didn't mind spending a few days just thinking about me.  Getting to just sit and read a book or shop in a store without having to wonder about how Knox was doing or what he would need was absolutely glorious.  It was like the angels were singing down on me and I soaked in every glorious moment of it.  Okay, I will stop- I think you get the picture.  

So, we decided to go to Chicago because Kyle was going there anyway for work and luckily I had always wanted to go and never been. Perfect! We left on Friday morning and after a quick flight were in Chicago Friday before lunch.  After we checked into our hotel we spent the afternoon in search of a good chicago-style hotdog and seeing the sights.  Chicago was definitely cooler than I imagined (temperature and fun wise).  Friday night we went to a comedy show at 'Second City' were some of the greats like Chris Farley and Jim Belushi have gotten there starts.  We ate some amazing deep dish pizza as well- more than once.  And really that was all I wanted to accomplish. I have a soft spot in my heart (and stomach) for hotdogs and pizza so I really was in heaven.  

Part of the Chicago skyline

Kyle & I love taking tours when we visit different cities, so we boarded the 'Hop-on-Hop-off' Chicago bus tour on Saturday morning and spent the day seeing the sights of the city from our bus seat.  

The Chicago River

Since Kyle was a little kid he has been a Chicago Bears fan.  He grew up watching them on TV and has always dreamed of going to Soldier Field where they play.  As our luck would have it, the Bears had a home game this Sunday so we made the trek out to the stadium.  We didn't' get to go to the game but we did get to see the stadium and walk there with all the crazy bears fans! Also, our hotel was close to the stadium so we went down to the hotel bar after the game and had a few drinks with some Bears fans that Kyle made friends with.  He was like a kid in a candy shop- as happy as a little clam! (could I possibly use another cliche here! geesh!)

Kyle at Soldier Field 
Us posing in Chicago

I think this trip was a much needed break for both of us.  We spent a lot of time traveling and vacationing with our families this summer. But we haven't gotten to go on a trip with just the two of us since Knox was born.  It was so fun and refreshing for it to be "just the two of us" again.  


Chicago was an awesome city and we will definitely be making the trip back sometime in the future! 

No comments:

Post a Comment